If you’re a current subscriber, log in below. If you would like to subscribe, please click the subscribe tab above.
Username and Password Help
(TAYLORVILLE) — A draft agreement between Christian County and local municipalities for animal control will continue to be reviewed by the county’s Highway, Buildings and Grounds Committee of the Christian County Board. The decision came after discussions during the committee’s meeting on Tuesday night in the Courthouse.
The agreement, which was not distributed to the public, apparently contains a time limit of eight hours per month that the Christian County Animal Control Department can respond to animal calls from non-incorporated portions of the county. A rate of $25 per hour to be charged each entity contained in the draft agreement was discussed and members unanimously voted to raise the fee to $50 per hour.
Committee member Bev Graham questioned whether animal control had the personnel to respond to the calls, with Director Vince Harris also serving as Zoning Officer and Solid Waste Manager.
“I know we don’t have the personnel to patrol those towns, but it shouldn’t be a problem to go out on calls,” Harris said.
The agreement was tabled for further consideration by the committee next month.
In other matters, Harris announced long-time Solid Waste Educator Debbie LeVault is resigning effective Feb. 22, 2022. It was noted LeVault is responsible for the county’s recycling program and recycling educator for county school.
Later in the meeting, Graham asked if the open position could be placed on the agenda for the full county board meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2022. County Board Chairman, Matt Wells, who was in attendance at the meeting, was reluctant to committing to placing it on the agenda side he had not received a letter of resignation from LeVault.
In other Solid Waste business, Harris said he is working with the Illinois EPA to set up a Household Hazardous Waste Collection day at the Christian County fairgrounds this spring. He also said the elevator at Willey Station is being considered for demolition. Harris said it is leaning toward Illinois Route 48 and the Illinois Department of Transportation is concerned with it collapsing on to the highway.
Resolutions for Federal participation to replace two bridges in Pana Township were approved. This enables the county to secure Federal funds for 80% of the construction costs with the county picking up the remaining 20% according to Cliff Frye, County Highway Engineer. Frye said, in turn, Pana Township will reimburse the county.
Wells said a question of whether the Courthouse windows should be replaced will come before the board on Tuesday night. He said with replacement of the 30-some year old windows, costs for heating and cooling should be reduced.